|Korean Name||쿤 란|
|First Appearance||Vol.2 Chapter 23|
|Last Appearance||Vol.2 Chapter 152|
Koon Ran is a Regular (formerly one of the top 5 in E-rank) that is currently climbing the Tower with his newest team. He was formerly Koon Aguero Agnis's teammate and was also formerly a member of the FUG team created for Jyu Viole Grace. After the events of the Workshop Battle, he formed into a new team with Koon's direction. He is also from the same branch family as Koon Maschenny Zahard.
Ran is a mysterious character and much of his personal history is unknown. He originates from the same branch of the Koon Family as Maschenny Zahard and is said to be the most talented Regular of this branch. At some point in his past he battled Maschenny, with the Princess saying he would become a good warrior.
Appearance and PersonalityEdit
Ran is a short boy with light blue hair and blue eyes. He almost always wears a dark blue T-shirt over a black long sleeve shirt with black pants. His age is unknown; however, he does appear quite young.
He is notably very arrogant, mostly due to his immense power relative to other Regulars. This often makes him overconfident, as seen when he fought against Viole. Nevertheless, he is quite intelligent and can quickly notice and exploit his opponents weaknesses.
He has a stoic personality, but is annoyed by almost everyone, especially others in his team. Ran divides those he meets into six different levels:
- Slightly bothersome.
- A little bothersome.
- Very bothersome.
- Too bothersome.
- Wants to kill.
Naturally, there is no one who is in the "Not bothersome" level.
Ran is first seen when Novick introduces Edin Dan to the group Koon formed. Novick uses Dan's arrival as an excuse to fight Ran, who easily defeats him. Ran is later seen wearing an oversized number 1 shirt, which Novick had ordered for himself in anticipation of beating Ran. Koon Aguero Agnis tells them that their purpose was to be a "fence" around Rachel and in return he would reward them with whatever they wished when he became the head of the Koon Family.
During a test on the 29th Floor, Ran worked with Dan in order to find out the enemy's location. Initially Ran was furious at Dan for relying on Emile and not finding the enemy, but before he could do any harm to Dan they encountered their opponents. Ran easily defeated the enemy fighter while Dan won the test.Lighthouse to search for traps, which Novick and Ran were supposed to disable, but Ran was annoyed by Novick's chatter and lashed out at him, accidentally hitting the Lighthouse and destroying it. Ran continued to destroy traps until he ran into Horyang, who he believed to be the Devil of the Right Arm. They fought with Ran and Novick quickly gained the upper hand. Horyang fled and, despite Novick's warnings, Ran recklessly pursued him and was led to a room inside Arlen's Hand where Cassano revealed himself. Before he could react, he was sent flying by Cassano's left arm. Uninjured, he then switched positions with Novick and hit Cassano with a powerful lightning attack.
Horyang, enraged at this, attacked the pair, resulting in a quick and brutal fight which was ended prematurely when Cassano hit Horyang from behind, rendering him unconscious. Viole and Xia Xia then arrived and, thinking that Ran was responsible for wounding Horyang, they engaged him and Novick in yet another fight. This time, however, the pair were overwhelmed by Viole's relative mastery of Shinsoo.
After being defeated, they reveal that they were not responsible for what happened to Horyang. After Koon arrived and Xia Xia revealed her plan, they attempted to steal her detonator but were stopped by Viole. However, both Novick and Ran were able to escape the subsequent explosion in Xia Xia's golem.
Ran and Novick were both angry at what happened and attacked Xia Xia and Cassano, until Viole stepped in and stopped the fight. He explained that he had no desire to fight Koon's teammates, proposing an alliance instead. Ran agreed to Viole's suggestion when he was secretly given a message on his pocket, telling him that Koon was still alive. They travelled with FUG to their new home and watched Viole's new team take the 29th Floor test. Ran remarked that while their new team certainly was annoying, it was flawless.Team Tangsooyook and stayed at an apartment waiting for all the other Regulars to arrive. They went to Viole and asked if their restraints could be taken off, which Viole allowed. As they went back to their rooms, Novick wondered why they weren't running away now they had their cuffs off, but Ran didn't reply.
Ran remained calm throughout the whole event. He met Anak when she smashed through a wall in front of him and their relationship continued in the same vein, with Ran provoking Anak to attack him. Surprised by Anak's power, Ran unleashed a large, viscous storm cloud that allowed him to conceal himself while sniping at his opponent. Anak eventually dissipated the cloud with Shinsoo, but Ran used his buoyant reel to ambush her through a window. Anak jumped up over Ran and the two were about to shoot each other when Viole appeared and sent them both up.
Ran didn't make an appearance in this sub-arc, but as he wasn't seen around the pool area, we can deduce that he was probably in his room.Varagarv blew up his opponent's head, letting slip his surprise at Varagarv's strength. In Viole's match, he and Novick warned Viole to take it easy, only to have him kick a contestant clean out of the arena to land in front of them.
As he and Novick were walking back up to the arena, Novick shared his suspicions regarding the Workshop Battle with Ran. Beta passed them as they walked by and Ran noted that his presence wasn't that of a human. Ran's battle was then assigned and he was pleased to find that he would be able to fight Anak once again.
When the battle started, he requested for the rules to be changed, allowing him and Anak to fight without distractions. Io allowed this and the two started to fight. Ran swallowed a "Redan", granting him a vast (although temporary) increase in power and proceeded to manipulate Anak's pride to his advantage, provoking her to attack even as she was being overpowered. Having both destroyed her metaphorical and physical armour (her pride and Shinsoo enhancement respectively), he finished the fight by piercing her with an Espada de la Luz. However, much to his surprise, Anak continued to fight but, before they could trade final blows, Parakewl interrupted from below knocking them both out.
He was seen aboard the Wolhaiksong suspendiship, sitting by Anak.
He was sitting with Novick, when Koon asked the two of them to form a team made to eliminate Rachel and her allies.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Ran was one of the top five E-rank Regulars in the Tower and therefore was in a league ahead of most Regulars at that level. He is an exceptional fighter and seems to mainly rely on his agility and powerful Shinsoo blasts. He is a confirmed Koon, and his technique is reminiscent of Koon Eduan's style (manoeuvring blue Shinsoo and lightning-based attacks). He is also one of the Koon's branch that can use the ultimate spear technique known as "Maschenny Style: Lightning Spear", developed by Maschenny Zahard herself. It has been stated that one of his strongest advantages in battle is his perfect technique. Ran has also been mentioned as the most talented in the Koon Family although it's likely only within the E-ranks of Regulars. After his fight with Anak and Cassano he decided to he wanted to become stronger so he wouldn't have to show his back to them anymore.
Blue Lightning: The Shinsoo that he uses is electric in nature. When Ran attacks, he either uses it to enhance his blows or collects it in his hands before releasing powerful lightning blasts.
Maschenny Style: Lightning Spear Technique (마스체니식: 전창술 (電槍術), Mahseuchehni-sig: Jeonchangsul): Ran is capable of utilising the Lightning Spear technique in the form of many sub-techniques. His proficiency is very high in their usage.
- Eléctrica Perla: He generates a large blast of electricity in the form of a spear that is powerful enough to easily scar the ground.
- Espada de la Luz: When Ran uses this technique, it is strong enough to pierce through both Cassano and Anak in one shot. However a downside to this technique is that it takes a toll on the his body with Ran claiming that he cannot use it more than once in a battle. He is skilled enough in the execution of this technique that he was able to aim slightly away from her heart so as not to kill her.
- Lanza de Relámpago: It is technique similar to Espada de la Luz that takes less of a toll on Ran's body. It was used against Viole but was stopped by his Lighthouse-enhanced freezing technique.
- Espada Grande: A technique which takes the form of a giant sword and looks similar to the Espada de la Luz. Its exact capabilities are unknown however it can be assumed that it is stronger than the Espada de la Luz.
Maschenny Style: Fighting Technique (마스체니식: 전투술, Mahseuchehni-sig: Jeontusul): Is a set of fighting techniques most likely created by Maschenny Zahard.
- Arch Lightning: A technique that used electric Shinsoo enhanced strikes. Ran used it to land a heavy uppercut to Anak's jaw.
Electric Storm Clouds: Ran is capable of engulfing his surroundings with storm clouds which impairs the opponent's vision. When used by an amateur this technique is only useful in enclosed spaces however for a skilled Ranker it is possible to create a natural disaster with this technique, although that requires a contract with a Guardian.
Redan: It is a technique that can be used by Ran where he will eat and swallow a highly concentrated baang with electrical Shinsoo that causes his speed and strength to increase by "a couple of times". While being powered up by Redan, Ran is even more powerful than before and can even beat Anak Zahard in close quarters combat. Ran can still use his Maschenny Style techniques while using Redan. However the downside is that Ran can only use Redan for a maximum of 5 minutes and he himself claims that he would be barely able to walk afterwards. Five minutes was more than enough for Ran to completely overwhelm Anak which proves this technique has immense power.
Intelligence: Ran has an incredible ability to see through and plan what moves will work best in combat for him. Whether it be structuring which way to attack first and follow through, he always seems to plan his style of fighting.
Notes and TriviaEdit
- A Koon Family member who strongly resembles Ran is seen on Koon's team in the Tower of God x Maplestory Crossover Special.
- It is quite likely that he is Ran.
- He was one of the Top 5 of the E-ranked Regulars.
- Ran is probably an abandoned Koon seeing as he, like Aguero, does not have a scarf.
- Ran considers Novick to be "too bothersome". He says that he only keeps Novick alive because of his cooking.
- It is likely that Ran does most things because Novick tells him not to.
- Despite being a spear technique, Espada de la Luz takes the shape of a sword, as the name suggests.
- Ran is afraid of having his ears pierced.
- He quite resembles Killua, a character from the manga "Hunter x Hunter". Coincidentally, both of them have compatibility to electricity and similar personalities.
- Ran is picky about his food. He prefers yoghurt over food. He dislikes the ones with syrup.
- He has decided that killing Maschenny Zahard would be his final goal after becoming a Ranker.
- (In answer to Kang Horyang asking him why he was looking for Beniamino Cassano) "To fight him. Do I need another reason?"
- (To Novick) "It's faster if I go alone."
- (To Prince) "Did he know that there's another form of suicide."
- (To himself after noticing Red Hawk) "Everyone looks this way before leaving."
- (To Anak Zahard) "Annoying... hitting people when they're eating... they're really annoying, you know, people like you."
- (To an injured Anak Zahard) "That arrogance of yours was the cause of your loss, lizard. As long as you fail to escape from that arrogance, you will never be able to beat me in a match."
- (To Anak Zahard at the dance) "Anyway, I'll properly end our fight next time. If it wasn't for the interference at the end, victory would've been mine."